Saturday, September 14, 2013

More to me than "Mommyhood"

Did you ever look past and mom and look at who she really is? For instance, I'm at the mall I don't shower or brush my hair I'm in sweats and a stained shirt and you don't even bother to notice because I am surrounded by my three girls who completely take away any distraction.  But if I didn't have my girls you know someone would notice me being that hot mess and make a comment under their breath.  I can even get over that.  But you know some mom's are sick of talking about princess', poop, diapers, baby dolls, crayons, cartoons, bottles, boogers, potty training, etc. So why would I want to give you advice on it? I want to talk about anything but those things. :) I am a person. And so are other mom's. I love having adult conversations when my girls are asleep, it's quiet and I can enjoy the moment. I pull out my crochet projects. have a HOT cup of coffee (without sharing), stretch out or curl up (pending on my mood), eat cookies (again without sharing) and enjoy the moment just like any other woman.  I don't love the fact that I get a 5 min. shower and dressed do my hair that fast. I am the first one to admit my children come before me, completely before me. I will always go without just for them even if it means the last bite of my sandwich.  (and I am not bragging or knocking, it is my choice) But that means when I can be a normal adult for a few hours I will enjoy them so much more.  I appreciate that others look at me as an experienced mom (weird to think that) and I am happy to share. But if you only talk to me for my advice, or because you think my children are darling, (which of course they are) or you want to do a play date, just wait a minute and think "does she really want to talk about that right now, or should I just ask her for a cup of coffee?" Once a year I get a date with no interruptions, no children and no time limit, it's my anniversary. Other than that I get lucky here and there. So my regular conversations are half of a regular person. I cherish and love the adult moments I do get, especially if they are not related to an children :)

So next time you see a mom and you want to talk to her think about what you are going to say for a second.  Is it just because their children are cute, because you need advice on something like teething, or do you want to really say hey, how are you doing? Look at that mom as an actual adult and not jsut a person, it could possibly make her day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment